Do you suffer from an occasional headache? Do you live with chronic migraines or cluster headaches? Does this pain put you in a bad mood…or worse, make you miss work or school? 20 million Americans see their doctors each year because of headaches. I think it’s safe to say that 70% of those, are not fully served by the medications and surgeries recommended because they either don’t work, or cause other problems–or both!
These people are living with pain that could be treated and even prevented with my Octave Resonance Healing Approach™ to Headaches. This holistic approach takes into account the cause, and then supports all the systems so the cause doesn’t keep coming back.
One important thing to remember is never ignore pain! Pain is our bodies’ way of telling us that something is wrong. The disabling pain of headaches is a signal of an internal imbalance, which can best be cured through a holistic approach that includes acupuncture, healthy lifestyle, maintaining a sound mind, and so much more.
This article is Part One of my Octave Resonance Healing Approach™ to Headaches series. I will be giving you concrete tips of holistic headache care, and give you a peak at what happens in my office as well. This article will focus on things you can “do” spiritually to help yourself. In future weeks, I will offer emotional, Life Force and Physical things you can do for your headaches.
Spiritual Tips for Headache
• Pray for help. “Ask and it is given”, but usually not on a silver platter with an instruction manual. Usually our answers are given in the form of an opportunity.
• Meditate. Try to get to a place where you can witness your pain but not be “in” it. Often just this vantage point shifts the pain down.
• Think about the meaning your headaches have for you in your life. Of course you don’t like being in pain, but maybe you like being taken care of, or you like not working so hard, or… If you have these “secondary gains”, the first step is to give yourself a big dose of loving compassion—you must have been desperate to develop such an unconscious strategy. Then gently and lovingly start getting those needs met in more comfortable ways. Don’t judge your pain as “bad”. It works better to skip judgement and simply describe it as “uncomfortable and inconvenient”. Otherwise it’s hard to connect lovingly with your inner wisdom about the situation.
• Parent your pain. Love your pain. Talk to your as if it is a person. Ask your pain to tell you about itself. I like to think of pain as a toddler having a tantrum. A good parent will hold their frantic child, keep her from harming herself and the furniture, and try to understand what it is about so they can prevent it in the future. Maybe not-so-surprising, the same things that prevent tantrums in toddlers can prevent headaches in adults: sleeping better, eating better, getting some good loving attention and feeling good about themselves. A good parent can’t snap their fingers and make a two year old’s tantrum stop, but they can get curious and really care so as to prevent the outburst in the future. Try to be a “good parent” to your pain, and skip any shaming or blaming.
Spiritual Techniques I Use for My Headache Patients
Most of my headaches patients come to me because I do acupuncture. One of the reasons I can get them better in so few treatments is that I incorporate spiritual practices. Here’s what I do “in the back-ground” that supports my acupuncture therapy.
• I pray for guidance. Before my patient arrives for their treatment, I “tune in” and ask what I should pay attention to. For example, Sue is coming in. I tune into her and I get an impression of her daughter. That tells me that when she lightly complains about her daughter’s behavior, to explore with my patient how she handles that stress in her body. Often a key to understanding how she creates her headaches is right there and I would have completely missed it if I had not asked for guidance.
• I treat “energy flows” that are not in the three dimensions—they are more subtle than the Life Force and emotional levels that I will be discussing in future articles. A way to describe them is they are spiritual flows and processes. With my Medical Intuition, I am able to scan the body and “see, hear and touch” these subtle flows. Sometimes I “do” something when I connect with these dimensions. More and more, I simply witness, and they resolve on their own. I learned how to do this when I was learning how to work with cancer. It also helps headaches.
• I energetically “charge” cotton. You wear it over the part of your head that hurts, or under an eye mask while you sleep.
• I have fun. I don’t know if this is a spiritual technique, but including the spiritual fills my interactions with my patients with interest, fun, enthusiasm, creativity, inspiration, competence, better results…and on and on.
Whether you want to stop your headache that happens when you are stressed or on your period, or if you’re at the point where you’ve “tried everything” for your daily headaches to no avail, I can help. I’ve never met a person with headaches that I couldn’t help if they followed my recommendations. Really! I’ve been treating pain with acupuncture for 30 years and have accumulated many professional techniques and lots of clinical experience.
We’ll work together to create a holistic treatment approach that will best suit your needs. I’d be happy to talk with you for 5-15 minutes during a complimentary “Get Acquainted” call. Schedule here: